Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Making of....Stairs!

 Back at the blog. I'm shooting for once a week, but sadly, I've neglected already. I really want Sasha and I to do the TURTLE post together, because he's the one who's done all of the research. That will just have to wait. We go up for approval to the Historic Planning Commission Board tomorrow morning, so please keep your fingers crossed for us! Hopefully we'll have approval and will keep moving on the exterior restoration. At the moment, we are focused on the interior (no approval necessary, thank you very much). I'm guessing our contractor is under our house right now, looking at our foundation or lack thereof . In all honesty, the foundation looks great for a 114 year old house, but let's be honest, that's a long time to just hang out somewhere.

The stairs! We have stairs! Sort of. The house has been a duplex or apartments since the 1950s, and at sometime in the past sixty years, stairs were removed and a big ugly wall and closet was put in. Here is Sasha after conquering that big ugly wall (it was 12 feet tall, not a quick job):



Sasha tore down the wall and then was gone for a week, while I checked on the house and hoped nothing went wrong. First there was a hole:


Then there was an even bigger hole: 


The hole became a landing and a place for stairs to go: 


And now, that hole, that was a closet and a wall, now has stairs, stairs you can stand on!


The current view from our front door: 


And so our stairs are far from complete, but they look swell to me. I can't wait to show you what they will look like when they are finished! I'll be as surprised as you are. 

Until next time, when we finally fill you in on the reason why all turtles will be welcome at this old home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment